Friday, August 26, 2011

Making "shabby chic" looking card

Today I would like to show  how to make "shabby chic" looking cards; so soft colours, almost white, pastels and a lot of laces:)



I really love to use white paints in my cards and embellishments so I often paint my colourful flowers with white and also the laces althought they already are white, believe or not:)
Now I show you how I usually make this and show my favourite paints.

These paints are absolutely my all time favourites!!

1.Here is some beautiful and colourful flowers from Prima, Wild Orchid Crafts and Magnolia. I paint them with spray paint "matte white". The spray paint is really everyday, you can buy it from everywhere:)

It`s better to make this spraying outside because otherwise it may be white paint here and there:) And I`m advising  to use gloves (if you don`t want the white hands)


2. Here are my laces; white but so glossy. That is why I like to paint them, matte


3. And now the flowers and laces looks like this. Some painted doilies too.





4. I like to paint also the other embellishments like chipboards and metal charms etc. For these I use often white acrylic paint or crackle paint Picket Fence.



5. Here you can see one more medium, Deco cotton fibre additive. It gives wonderful 3d effect to the project.  I have used it for the bigger heart.


6. I even paint sometimes patterned papers and tags:)


There was all about painting. I hope you liked:) Now it`s time to choose your papers and coloured image. Because we are making "shabby chic looking" card it`s better to choose pastel coloured papers. Here are my choices, beautiful Magnolia papers and Tilda.


And now we can start to built the card by using all these painted embellishments. In my card I have used these  ones and furthermore a little bit cheesecloth. After building the card I still use white acrylic or crackle paint for the edges, cheesecloth, charms and maybe a little for the  flowers. Here you can see some close-ups:)




I hope you have enjoyd this:)

42 comments:

Carola / Calle said...

Thank's Minna for this great tutorial. It was so nice to get to know how you make yuor beautiful cards.

Lenes stempelkrok said...

Beautiful Minna:O) I love your tutorial:O)

Katya Tarasova said...

Это просто чудо шебби!!! Красивая открытка!

Maryann Laursen said...

Thanks so very much for a really cool tutorial here. I have so enjoyed to read every word here and I´m definately going to try some of these things soon too, that´s for sure. Ilove how the result ended up at last, it´s just stunning.
Have a wonderful week-end ahead everyone.

Ann said...

lovely tutorial, i think i've got to get some mate white paint (lol)

Wenche said...

Yout card is beautiful and very shabby chic.
Love it!! Thank you for showing us how to make our embellishment really shabby. Can't wait to try it ;)
Hugs, Wenche ;0)

angelique (anlou) said...

hiya sweetie
like it?
i just love it
thanks sweetie for showing how you make such lovely and elagant cards
have a great weekend sweetie
hugs angelique

Ida said...

Nydelig! Takk for tipset!:)
God helg!

Sandra said...

Great tutorial and a gorgeous card!
Love how the flowers turned out!

Thanks for sharing!

Fieneke said...

wauw, a very beautiful card. Thank you for Your tutorial!
Greatings Fieneke

scrapcreations-judith said...

What a realy beautiful card.
Hugs Judith

Kortmanitove said...

Så flott kort! Takk også for de flotte ideene for å skape den "shabby" stilen... Må prøve ut litt av dette ja!
Tove

Nanda said...

Thank you for this tutorial. I like the cards you make and the soft tones.

Hugs, Nanda

miriam said...

what a beautiful card.And a great tutorial
hugs miriam

Shazza said...

wow this is stunning, would never have thought of painting things white, must try it out x

Lillemor said...

Thank you Minna for this great tutorial! You are a true artist and I admire your style, it´s very beatiful!!!
Have a nice weekend.
Hugs Lillemor

Gro said...

Beautiful. Thank you so much for the tutorial :o)

Petra/Paradise said...

ooooh!!! A loooooovelly tutorial Minna!!!! ooh!! Im in love!! ;)

IM soooo inspires right now!
Gladly I have spraypaint at home!! *jumping around* ;)

Hugs Petra

Jannhild said...

Love it love it love it Minna!!

I'm also soooo inspired right now!
Sadly for me, I haven't the spraypaint at home!!
I have to get som sprays!!!

Love your tutorial Minna!! Thanks for sharing ♥

Hugs
Jannhild

Dawn said...

Wow, such a stunning card! Thank you for sharing your techniques. Hugs

Marijke said...

Ohh WOW Stunning creation!!!
Thanks for your great tutorial!
Hugs,
Marijke

Unknown said...

Lovely tutorial!!! I just had to go get som white spray and now my whole house smells like it's been repainted ;P But ooooh how gorgeous everything gets with a little spray of white!!
Thank you hun!

Hugs
Malin

Torill said...

Beautiful! Thank you for this tutorial.

Josefine Skapar said...

Beautiful I think I must buy som spray =)

Susanne said...

Beutiful card. I must try this.

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for this!! I have been wondering how you make your cards just utterly gorgeous and perfect!! I LOVE everything you make and now I can try to do it too!!! Love it and I never would have guessed white spray paint!!! Thank you again so very much!!!
:)Kathy

Nina Macaulay said...

Oh what a fabby idea!
Your cards are beautiful as always!
I have a can of white mat spray paint too!!
:O))
Thank you so much for sharing :O)

CraftinGranny said...

Not something I would have ever thought of doing. Your cards are so beautiful and now I know why.. Thanks for sharing this tutorial and I'm definately going to give it a try Minna. "Hugs" Carol

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this fabby tutorial. I really feel like I can give this a go now.
hugs
Dawn xx

Julie said...

Absolutely stunning - really feel that I could give this a go now, thanks for sharing your secrets!! Juliexx

Angie Bächi said...

Wonderfull!!! The shabby virus definitively took over me :) and it's so precious to see your shabby-love and how generous you share your "how to's" with us... THANKS!!! So if I'd try this spray technique I'd allways link to your tutorial... it's kind of your stile! WOW!!! Hugs to you Minna, Angie

LindaS said...

Gorgeous creation. Thanks for sharing your wonderful way to color it all.

bianca said...

this is so beautiful!!!!!
thanks for the tutorial,and keep up the good work!!!!!

hugs,bianca

Franz♥ said...

Thank you for the tutorial Minna, really well done! I like your shabby chic style!

Francesca.

Janette said...

This is stunning and thanks for all the tips.xx

Magda said...

Thank you so much for explaining and charing this tecnichnique.
I adore the cards madein this style .
I have a problem , Could you let me know were I can by these Déco products.I did look on the internet in the shops I know but They don't sell this products.
Thanks a lot.
I also did search for your blog , and did not find it .
Please let me know?
Thanks and have a nice week
mdb@irc-engineering.be
Magda

Teresa said...

Oh wow this is brilliant! I love the shabby look but have never been able to achieve it, now I just want to dash out and buy paints and paint everything in sight to have a go.
Thanks very much for this wonderful tutorial. Hugs Teresa xx

Lesley said...

This looks so lovely and easy I really like it in white thanks for sharing your skills

Scrappegal said...

WOOOOW!!!!!!! So much BEAUTIFUL layers in shabby white!!!! Love It!!!! <3 I just HAVE to buy myself some white spray-paint....!!!

Dortesjs said...

beautiful tut and simply amazing card at the end thank for inspiration

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help. This is wonderful.

Magda Wisiorek said...

Amazing project, love it!